Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Business Travel

I’m still traveling for work and will be for most of this week. I don’t mind it, really, but I will be glad to get home to my familiar surroundings. Today, I have two meetings in Springfield and then I’ll drive to the exciting city of Effingham for another meeting. So far, I've had meetings in Jacksonville and Kankakee, Illinois.

“Effingham” is a funny name.

Why can’t all TVs in hotel rooms keep CNN on the same channel? It would be so nice if I could just come in and, boom, turn to the same channel whether I was in Springfield or Jacksonville or Effingham.

Why can’t all showers in every hotel work the same way? Every morning, I have to figure out the intricacies of that particular shower. Airline pilots probably have as much trouble with these controls as I do.

I like the fact that exit signs on the interstate highways now indicate what restaurant, gas station, or hotel is located there. However, they’re sometimes misleading. I’ll make an exit, thinking that I’m heading to a Denny’s only to find that the Denny’s is actually several miles down the road, tucked away somewhere in downtown Effingham.

What is it with the sausage-gravy & biscuits at hotel breakfasts? Most hotels have a breakfast included these days but the sausage-gravy & biscuits seem to appear at ever hotel - - and little else. Is the hotel industry trying to kill us?
(and no, it is NOT a “free” breakfast - - it’s “included”)

What is it with the “Adult Entertainment” that seems to be available on every Hotel TV these days? Not that any of it would remotely appeal to me in any way. But for those who do want to purchase it, I would imagine it would be pretty embarrassing to have an “adult” title appear on their business travel receipt.

I’ve got to get to a meeting now. I’ll be sure to give you, dear puppies, an update from Effingham.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM , Blogger Al In The County said...

I travelled for 4 years - every week - when I worked in politics in DC. There are many lessons and questions, and you hit on many of the same annoyances I had.

I'll add one, though. Always eat at chain restaurants. The food may not be great, but at least you know what you're getting.

Effingham is a funny word.

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Those exit signs with the misleading directions for restaurants REALLY tick me off sometimes. One time, Iwanski and I drove 15 minutes after taking an exit, for a Culver's. How annoying!

And yes, Effingham is a funny word. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home