Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Woops. . .

As I was watching the inauguration with a group of my co-workers, a few of them giggled when it appeared that President Obama had flubbed the words to the oath of office.

I piped up and said, “No, I think John Roberts messed it up.”

Turns out, that was true.

The oath is supposed to go:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Chief Justice John Roberts transposed some words saying:
"I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully," and Obama hesitated causing Roberts to quote a portion of it again.

Here’s the transcript:

ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?
OBAMA: I am.
ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...
OBAMA: I, Barack...
ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...
OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...
ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...
OBAMA: ... that I will execute...
ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...
OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...
ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...

Mark my words, some of the right-wing Christianists will be claiming that since the oath wasn’t recited properly, then Obama really isn’t the president.

It’s doesn’t matter. Officially, Obama became president, ipso facto, precisely at 12:00 pm, EST just a few minutes before the oath was actually taken.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home