Friday, January 16, 2009

MyFaceSpacePageBook

I recently became a member of spaceface, mybook, myface, spacebook, or whatever it’s called. After I did so, I got some “hits” and “pokes” and someone threw lasagna at me.

I really did have trouble remembering the actual name of the site. That was obvious when I tried to log back on to “spacebook.com” and it wouldn’t work.

But, I’ve been on there a while and have really been surprised at the connections that have been made. I’m re-connected to two very close friends of mine from college, some from high school, and lots of friends-of-friends.

There’ve even been some people that have wanted to become my friend and I’ve absolutely no idea who they were.

I’ll admit that I’m a little uncomfortable with so many people knowing every move that I make on the site. I’m sure there’s a way I could make it more private, but at this point I’m just now learning how to throw a weasel at someone.

I don’t keep up with my page as much as one could. Oh my goodness, there are all sorts of things one could be doing there if you wanted. I could be playing Tetris with friends, chatting, poking, twittering, networking, and that’s probably just the tip of the social iceberg.

The internet and sites like these have certainly opened up an entirely new dimension to socializing. I think it’s absolutely incredible that we can re-connect with long lost friends so easily and efficiently. Friendships get revived and continue whereas they probably would have otherwise remained a distant memory.

Sure, it’s all done through a somewhat veiled electronic curtain. When I was a kid, “social networking” meant that you had someone actually come over after school to play – in the same yard. As a teenager, we broke curfews and exhibited questionable behavior – together in the same car.

It hasn’t seemed that long ago that I sent my first email to someone and then called them long-distance to say, “Did you get my email? Really? It’s there? That’s so cool!”

(Remember doing that?)

And now, my best friend from the freshman dorm and I are throwing virtual muffins at each other from thousands of miles away.

It's a pretty incredible world.

And I still think email is totally cool.

2 Comments:

At 4:20 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Oh, if ONLY I could throw a virtual weasel at you!! LOL! :)

 
At 11:47 PM , Blogger QuotidianEditorialist said...

I rather throw real lasagna, but thanks for thinking of me. :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home