Friday, January 16, 2009

A Raw Food Detour

Well, I will soon take a little break from my Raw Food diet because I will be trying a delicacy I’ve always wanted to try.

Have you heard of "balut" eggs?

Balut is a very popular food item in the Philippines in which a fertilized duck egg is cooked and eaten when the duck embryo is half formed.

Doesn’t that sound yummy?



In the Philippines, a lot of care is taken to cook the fertilized duck eggs after the duckling has formed for exactly 18 days. Any less than eighteen days, the duck fetus is too soupy. Any more, then it's too crunchy.

The Filipinos enjoy balut because it’s the perfect all-in-one meal. The balut egg contains a good bit of salty liquid, so there’s your soup. (mmmm -- amniotic fluid soup)

The half-formed fetus provides the entrée and the eggy bit provides your side dish - - all in one go.

Anyway, I will be visiting my staff members across the state of Illinois in a couple of weeks. The wife of one of one of my staff is from the Philippines and she has already procured a balut egg for me to try.

I really love to try new and unusual food items. A balut egg will certainly qualify.

So, I will make a detour from my vegan, raw food diet in order to try this delicacy. Of course, I will post some photos of my balut-eating experience for your entertainment and pleasure.

You have to admit that eating a boiled duck fetus is just about as far away from vegetarianism as you can get:

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:31 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Eww eww eww eww eww eww eww!!!!

TELL me you're not going to try that!!!!

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Oh that is truly the most disgusting thing I have ever ever seen or heard. I still love ya but seriously yuk!

 
At 1:04 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

MHP: Worse than that, I'm going to bring it back to Chicago and I'm going to invite YOU over when I try it.

Barb: Friends like you are a treasure.

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger Alderman Sheri S Hartzheim said...

Hi, Buck,

I just stopped by your blog to leave you a little "thank you" note for letting us see your retro-swank place (and allowing Rick to give you some decorating ideas -- a bead curtain on the kitchen, dude!)... but while was here, I had to tell you that this cooked embryo thinkgy looks and sounds just ick-errific!

So, anyway... thank you! It was so good to meet MHP's best-good friend and at least chat with you a while over lunch.

:)
Sheki

 
At 12:58 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

 
At 2:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried bulut when I was in Subic Bay. A more nasty food item there is not. There is a place that sells them in Houston. The first thing they tell you is "you can't eat that here".

The smell is quite unique to say the least.

 
At 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried bulut when I was in Subic Bay. A more nasty food item there is not. There is a place that sells them in Houston. The first thing they tell you is "you can't eat that here".

The smell is quite unique to say the least.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home