Thursday, November 20, 2008

Morning Scene - The Mather Tower


I think this is my favorite building in all of Chicago. (Except for the one I live in, of course.)

Completed in 1928, the Mather Tower at 75 East Wacker Drive takes up one of the smallest footprints of any skyscraper of comparable height.

Its 42 stories rise 521 feet, yet tenants on the upper floors of the octagonal, telescoping structure have a great view but only 280 square feet of space.

When it was designed, it was supposed to have an identical twin next to it. However, the stock market crash in 1929 resulted in the abortion of those plans.

The bottom half of the building is comprised of luxury office space. The octagonal section contains hotel rooms for members of a private club.

When I walk out of my apartment building every morning, this is the first building I see.
I just love this little whisp of a skyscraper.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM , Blogger Barb said...

not that I've been too many places but Chicago has to be my all time favorite place to see the architecture. Thanks for always sharing!

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger Barb said...

BTW ~ How was skating today?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home