Monday, September 15, 2008

News from the Elevator

The high-tech elevators in the building where I work have these small TV screens that display interesting little news blurbs. It gives you something to do while you’re ascending to the 83rd floor, thus alleviating that horrible quandary of where to look while you’re in a crowded elevator.

Today’s blurb was about a 33 year old mother who posed as her 15 year old daughter. Apparently, the mother stole the daughter’s identity so that she could capture her lost childhood and be a high school cheerleader.

"The defendant stated she wanted to get her high school degree and be a cheerleader because she had no childhood and was trying to regain a part of her life she missed," according to the complaint. She allegedly attended cheerleading practices before school started, received a cheerleader's locker and went to a pool party at the cheerleading coach's house.

Now, isn’t that just the saddest thing you’ve ever heard? What’s really pathetic is that high school cheerleading has been elevated to such a level that a 33 year old mom would commit felonious activities in order be a cheerleader.

That tells you a lot about what’s wrong with our public school system and where priorities lie.

I doubt you’d ever hear about someone doing this in order to be on the honor roll.

I, too, have regrets over things I didn't do in high school. I have often regretted that I never learned to play the cello. If I had the chance to return to high school, it would be to play the cello.

Now, that’s really pathetic.

3 Comments:

At 4:55 PM , Blogger Speck said...

I would go back for calculus, trig and chemistry. Oh, and Latin (if they offered it.) OK, I'm a geek.

What I wouldn't take again: Home Ec I & II, Typing I & II, and Band. (Momma made me.) There's a big chunk of my life I'll never get back.

 
At 12:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could go back I would be out of the closet so I would know what it's like to be young AND gay.

On second thought, that would've gotten me killed. Never mind.

 
At 8:30 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Yep, that is pathetic, dooder. *grin*

I would like to go back to high school just to tell some people to f*** off. :)

Yeah, as if I'd do that. :) But at least I hopefully wouldn't care so much about what they thought about me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home