Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Perfect Egg -- Finally

One of my pet peeves is when you boil eggs and can’t get the peelings off. You know, when you try to peel the egg and most of the white sticks to the shells. That drives me insane.

Conversely, I just coo with pleasure when the peelings slip off in the most cooperative way.

I’ve read all sorts of things on how to remedy this situation. One involved sticking a pin hole in the end of each egg. Others involved plunging the cooked eggs in cold water.

After some trial and error, I’ve come up with the PERFECT recipe for soft-boiled eggs. (I like them just a little squishy in the middle)

1 dozen Grade A extra large eggs (not jumbo eggs)

3 quarts of boiling water

Big bowl of ice water. (Cold tap water will not do)

Bring the water to a rolling boil. Lower the eggs into the boiling water with a slotted spoon.

Time them for SEVEN minutes.

Then remove the eggs to the ice water and leave them there until cool. At least 30 minutes.

You’ll be surprised how easily the peelings will slip off.

If you want them hard-boiled, you’re on your own.

5 Comments:

At 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Martha!

 
At 11:57 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Wait...you eat your soft boiled eggs cold?

 
At 8:46 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine: I forgot to say that I microwave them a little bit with butter and salt.

 
At 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. OK. Tried it. Shoulda known. Perfect eggs.

 
At 9:50 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Bro: Yay. I'm glad I could pass on my wealth of experience as an older brother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home