Thursday, December 06, 2007

Brrrr!

It’s very cold outside today.

When I walked to work this morning, there were only three Fahrenheit-type of degrees outside. Only three. AND it was windy.

It’s a long-underpants kind of day. I’m wearing these polyester long-underpants which are wonderful. I like them because they’re very thin but keep me warm. Also, they’re not the heavy, bulky thermal long-johns. Those are fine if you’re elk hunting in Minnesota, but with office attire, not so much.

But now I know how women feel about panty-hose because the first thing I want to do when I get home is to TAKE THEM OFF.

This cold weather reminds me of when I lived in Toronto.
(National Motto: Hockey. It’s the Law.)

I was making Christmas dinner for a group of people and had bought a big turkey. Which, by the way, cost $65.00 in Canada. I don’t know why. Maybe because it had to be imported from the U.S. or something.

I had a few days until I had to cook it and didn’t have room in the freezer for a big turkey. What to do?

Well, Duh!

It’s Canada.

In December.

The entire outdoors is one, giant freezer.

Mister Turkey remained quite frozen on the back porch until it was time to thaw.

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of gun control. . . well, we’re not, but I just couldn’t think of a good segue . . . I think we should do as the Canadians. In order to purchase bullets in Canada, there’s a waiting period while they do a thorough background check (probably checking to make sure you're not a U.S. citizen first of all) Then, the serial numbers of the bullets you buy are recorded in a national database.

After all, guns don’t kill people.

Bullets ripping through human tissue kill people.

I’m just saying. . .

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4:31 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I like the bullet registration law. Those Canucks.

 
At 6:42 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Bullet registration makes perfect sense, eh. Especially in a country that loves its brewskis.

 
At 8:58 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

If even you think it's cold, then it must be cold.

BY the way, I was a stupid little gun nut when I was 18. Now I want to see them all blasted into space.

 
At 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know I am now and always have been a firearms enthusiast. My gun collection includes handguns, rifles, shotguns and yes, even assault rifles like the one used in the recent mall shooting. I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon and usually do. I know how to use them effectively and keep them safe. I would have absolutely no problem with my background being checked to buy ammo or having serial numbers on the bullets. Every time I pull the trigger I am responsible for the result. I am also responsible for keeping my weapons and ammunition secure and out of the wrong hands. Besides, if there is a mall shooter in San Antonio I don’t want the cops taking credit for my headshot.

 
At 10:43 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine and K.A. I want to move to Vancouver now because 1) I can be a Canadian and 2) I can be close enought to Seattle for dinner parties. Sound good?

Bro: If a gunman leaps into Lao next week during our lunch, a bowl of szechuan beef in the face will do the trick. It's awfully spicy.

 
At 10:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good deal. I'm not licensed to carry in Chicago.

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Bro: Don't I recall a certain little brother, about ten years old, shooting his big brother with a BB gun while he was playing the piano???

Gun control should have been enacted on the spot! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home