Saturday, August 18, 2007

Air Show

As I write this, the Chicago Air & Water Show is being held this weekend. Ever so often, a really scary jet flies right toward my apartment, grows louder and louder, and veers away just a few feet from my balcony.

Well, that's what it sounds like anyway.

I don't appreciate jet fighter plane-things at all. I have a cousin who's like a brother to me and I who admire greatly. He's been a jet fanatic all his life. To each his own.

Yes, I can appreciate the mechanics and physics involved in these jet fighters. But when I hear these jets fly around all weekend, all I can think of is that there goes billions and billions of our tax dollars spent on something that's intrinsically evil (war).

Isn't there something terribly disordered about admiring the evidence that human beings feel the need to destroy people, places and things? Isn't there something horribly wrong with a society that swells with national pride when they see The Blue Angels? There's hardly anything "angelic" about their purpose.

Even if the U.S. military used these multi-billion dollar machines for defensive purposes only, (yeah, right) it hardly warrants their admiration. They should be kept away from view, like a dirty little secret, a necessary evil.

I'm sure there will be a lot of patriotism and playing of the national anthem. You know, the one heralding the rocket's red glare and bombs bursting in air.

I'm looking forward to the Air and Water Show's end. All that ruckus makes it difficult to watch my cooking shows.

1 Comments:

At 2:00 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Dude, that is EXACTLY, how I feel about the frakking Blue Angels during Seafair.

Gives new meaning to "Balcony of Terror". (Which I miss. Daily).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home