Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Fried Oyster Place

Awhile back, I wrote that Iwanksi and Miss Healthypants and I often eat at “the fried oyster place” which is a Cajun restaurant in downtown Chicago. I call it “the fried oyster place” because I ordered the fried oysters there once and they were tasteless. Then, the next time we went there I ordered them again even though Iwanski tried to talk me out of it. Again, they were a disappointment.

He recently wrote about this restaurant, saying that it's NOT an oyster place, and listed its entire menu, because I’ve been referring to it as “the fried oyster place.”

Well, Miss Healthypants and I went to eat there last night. And after all of Iwanski’s ribbing about the fried oysters, I just had to do it.

I ordered ONE fried oyster. (It wasn’t very good either)


Then, I noticed that they had oysters on the half shell as an appetizer. I LOVE oysters on the half shell so I ordered them. They were excellent. Best I’ve ever had.

Then I ordered an appetizer portion of coconut shrimp with a red curry sauce and mango puree. The red curry sauce was served in half a coconut, most of which I ate too (I love coconut). The shrimp were fantastic. They were huge! (Also, there's rice and garlic mashed potatoes under the coconut there).
And look how many hot sauces are offered on each table. Ya gotta love this place!
It was one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time.

At one point, another diner came over and wondered what all the picture-taking was about. He was very friendly, so I told him about Iwanski, the fried oysters, our blogs, etc. He thought it was pretty funny. Which it is.

I’m SO glad I didn’t order the fried oysters. (Well, just one, but just for its comedic potential).


Since I enjoyed their oysters on the half shell so much, Miss Healthypants christened it:
"The RAW Oyster Place."
We'll be going there a lot.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:00 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

And when I come to Chicago, you'll take me with you after we go to Lao Tze YummyChinese.

 
At 3:15 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Eric, you're just gonna have to come for a good long visit one of these days.

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Hee hee hee. Not the fried oysters. That's not remotely funny. (Cooked oysters...eeww). No, I'm just neener neenering at Red. Because I get to eat there first. And if Cyndi Lauper happens to walk in...Oh. My. Yord.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home