Monday, April 23, 2007

OMG - WWJD

I just read where this 13-year-old girl won a prize for text-messaging the word "supercalafragilisticexpialidocious" in under 15 seconds. She estimates that she sends approximately 8,000 texts messages a month to her friends and family.
I guarantee, she'd be no friend of mine.
First of all, I hate getting text messages because I can't figure out how to retrieve the damn things.
Second, they're so cumbersome to send! I didn't even like those old phone numbers when I was a kid, like OL-9-2368 (that was ours). I really don't even like the clever phone numbers like, 1-800-AIRPLAN. All that hunt and pecking is a waste of time.
When I get a text message, I always call back and say, "Call me!"
Geez! It's so much easier and efficient.
And what's with these teeny-boppers anyway? Why do they want to thumb away on a cell phone rather than actually speaking to a person? What's up with that?
Don't get me wrong. I love technology. I'd hate to live without my internets, Tivo, cell phone and my blog family.
I just don't see the allure of text-messaging. Besides, it promotes bad spelling.
I'd love to see what would happen to these kids if they had to spend a week with 1960's technology like I grew up with. We had a dial telephone with eight families on a party line, for crying out loud. Remember the game, "Operation"? That was about as high tech as we got. These kids would explode.
I really wonder what this kid would be doing if she couldn't be sending her 8,000 text messages each month.


1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Yep. When I heard about that I was all "What?"

I wouldn't know how to text if my life depended on it. The code? A whole new language. Beyond LOL, ROTFLMAO, btw and imho, I got nothin'.

Kid should be doing her homework, dammit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home