Sunday, August 27, 2006

Five Things

Okay. This blog isn't about ME enough. Me. Me. Me.

Five Jobs I Had in College
1. Domino's Pizza Delivery (it was really good money back in '79)
2. Dormitory Resident Assistant (my floor was knows as "The Pharmacy")
3. Student Piano Instructor (I got an award for it too)
4. Pet Store Salesperson (a giant cockatoo bit me)
5. Telephone Operator (absolutely the most boring job in the world)

Five Foods I Don't Like
1. Radishes
2. Raw garlic
3. Any organ meat
4. Lima beans
5. Chinese steamed dumplings

Five Movies I Watch Repeatedly
1. Babette's Feast
2. 84 Charing Cross Road
3. Fargo
4. The Cider House Rules
5. The Nun's Story

Five Movies I've Never Seen
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Star Wars
3. Gone With the Wind
4. Casablanca
5. Love Story

Five Favorite TV Series
1. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
2. The Office
3. Judge Judy
4. All My Children
5. Lost in Space (as a kid)

Five Quirky Obsessions
1. Twisting the back of my hair with my fingers
2. Won't place a pen or pencil pointng left
3. Don't sleep in a bed. (on the sofa)
4. Will re-write the number "2" if it looks angry
5. Examine nose each morning for grey hairs. Pluck if necessary. (A tiny suspicion of trichotillomania going on there, perhaps?).

Five Cars I've Owned
1. 1976 Honda Civic. I worked a lot of hours at Dairy Queen to pay for that thing. (pic attached)
2. 1980 Ford Fiesta
3. 1985 Honda CRX. That puppy could move!
4. 1989 Daihatsu. I didn't know it only had three cylinders until my dad opened the hood and just about fainted. But it was blue and extremely cute.
5. 1992 Honda Civic VX. That thing actually got 56 mpg. It just purrred. It was Royal blue and it was mega-cute. . . .

. . . .Then I joined a monastery.

Nothing was cute, ever again. Breathtakingly beautiful, yes. But never cute.

Five Drugs I've Never Tried But Always Wanted To
1. Quaalude. A downer-on-steroids. Not available anymore. Rats. I missed out.
2. Ecstasy. Sounds like fun, big in the 80's gay scene, but I was always too chicken. Still am.
3. Heroin (snorted) Just because Janis Joplin is my idol
4. LSD. Even as a 10-year old, the Haight/Grace Slick/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida/Janis Joplin thing was awfully intriguing.
5. Thorazine. It was administered to the Linda Blair character in The Exorcist. As an adolescent, I was very much into anything "Linda Blair".

My First Five Alcoholic Beverages
1. Bourbon & Coke. I was fourteen, my dad showed me how to measure a jigger during a cocktail party and let me drink the results. I snuck back for two more and threw up.
2. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. I was fifteen. Hey! Alcohol tastes good!
3. Schlitz Beer. I was sixteen. It was ubiquitous on the band bus. I hated it.
4. Smirnoff Vodka w/Sprite. I was seventeen. It was ubiquitous before the band bus. I loved it.
5. Gin & Tonic. I was 19. Austin Country featured ten-cent drinks on Fridays with lots of Donna Summer, Halston Z-14 cologne . It was a good thing.
Thank God my ’76 Honda Civics came equipped with dorm-room sonar back then.

Five Phone Numbers I’ve Had
1) OL-9-2368. Kenedy Texas, 1963-1969. I remember having to call the operator in order to call my grandmother, “Budgie”, thirty miles away.
2) 191 That’s it. While at Budgie’s house, we only had to dial three numbers for a local call.( I’m attaching a scan of her local grocery note pad as proof.)
3) 5-3191. We moved into Budgie’s house in 1969. By then, we had to dial five whole numbers for a local call. (We still couldn’t call “long distance” without the assistance of an operator).

4) 512-392-1912.
My first phone number with my name in the book. ("The phone book's here! The phone book's here!")

5) 416-581-7936. My one phone number outside the U.S. I lived in Canada and it was so cool to hear the phone ring like the British phones on BBC when my parents from Texas would call: brring-brring . . pause, pause . . brring-brring . . pause, pause . . brring-brring . . "Oh, hey, 'Maum', gosh it's so cold here. How cold is it? It was minus six for a high today. . . No! You silly idiot, don't you know anything about international temperatures? Minus six is nothing here in Canada where I'm so much better than you. . . . !"
. . . . I was such a pompous ass. . . .


OOooo!
Tell me about five things about yourself from any of these catagories! (Quirky Obsessions, Movies you watch over and over, Drugs you've always wanted to try, etc)

C'mon. Puh-leeease? It'll be fun!

9 Comments:

At 9:51 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

5 Foods I Won't Eat

1. Brussels Sprouts
2. Brains
3. Liver (except fois gras & pate, those don't count. Although I understand it is illegal to eat fois gras in Chicago. And yeah, I feel sorry for the poor little goosies and I've actually only ever had it once but golly moses was it something else. I digress).
4. Watermelon. Forever ruined for me by a hovering obsessive grandmother. ("Don't eat the seeds! They'll root in your stomach! Be careful! Don't get sticky!" Holy mother of God, how do you eat watermelon and not get sticky? I just decided no food was worth that aggrevation).
5. Cold pizza.

 
At 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My list of 5 movies never seen is the same as yours, minus star wars. So in it's place I'll substitute Animal House.

 
At 7:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Will re-write the number "2" if it looks angry"!! HA!! *grin*

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Five Movies I Watch Repeatedly
1. Joe Dirt
2. Napoleon Dynamite
3. Annie Hall
4. The Odd Couple
5. The Grapes of Wrath

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Five Jobs I Had in College
1. Mover
2. Painter
3. Tutor
4. Janitor
5. Cab Driver

 
At 11:26 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

My First Five Alcoholic Beverages
1. Old Style Beer (from my Dad's supply)
2. Bartles & James (from my sister's supply)
3. Meister Brau
4. Garbage Can "Wopatoolie" Punch
5. Cheap Piggly Wiggly Vodka

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

5 Jobs in College:

1. Janitor in the science building
2. Data entry in the Admissions office
3. Receptionist in Student Affairs
4. Secretary in Admissions
5. Assistant to Dean of Students

Thank God for work/study.

 
At 1:47 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Five Movies I Watch Repeatedly:

1. Annie Hall
2. Philadelphia Story
3. What a Girl Wants
4. First Contact
5. Nottinghill

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine, you're SUCH a girly-girl.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home