Sunday, August 27, 2006

First Grade Nightmare


My first-grade teacher, Mrs. Wells, handed out a drawing of a potato to each of us. We were instructed to color the potato with a brown crayon and then cut it out with our little scissors.

Got it.

Well, I figured that since we were going to cut the potato out anyway, why stay within the lines with the brown crayon? I went to town, just coloring away, going way outside the lines. It was pretty thrilling, actually. I remember my friend, Johnny Gustafson sitting next to me, just looked horrified at my activity. "You can't do that!" he exclaimed.

Mrs. Wells was alerted to my blatant insurgency and she just freaked. My creative license was quickly brought to an end and I was given another potato as a do-over.

So typical.

I still felt pretty smug, though.

4 Comments:

At 6:12 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

I had almost the exact same experience. Wish I could go back and give my teacher the finger.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Ditto! And while I think I sorta got, on some level, the requirement to stay within the lines (which I know is a metaphor for conformity and all that but I didn't usually mind trying to make my picture as pretty as I could), I did NOT understand why it mattered if you were going to cut something out. You could get more coverage if you went outside the lines. Silly teachers. But look how fine we all turned out.

 
At 3:49 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Exactly! I remember making these big broad strokes with the brown crayon, just being able to go bonkers with it. (I didn't think how nice the end result would look).

 
At 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smug--even as a first grader! Some things never change!! *hee hee*

Love,

Poodle :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home