Thursday, August 17, 2006

Can You BELIEVE This??

I just read today where two high school football players (one was the star quarterback) in Ohio had been pulling a prank where they attached a fake deer to a trailer, pulled it across a road at night, causing cars to swerve out of the way.

Ha ha.

Well, it turns out that a couple of other teenagers swerved into a pole, causing one to break his neck and the other to suffer permanent brain damage. Yesterday was the sentencing of these two young men and the judge handed down a slap-on-the-wrist punishment consisting of 60 days of juvenile detention, house arrest for six months and ordered them to write a 500 word essay on "Why I Should Think Before I Act."

But here's the worst part - - The judge is letting the two boys complete the football season before serving their sentences! http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14385483/

Granted, I did my share of pranks in high school and I'm extremely lucky that no one was hurt. I realize that these kids are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives. But do you think for a moment that The Honourable Judge Buford would have let me postpone my sentence so that I could audition for a music scholarship?

What if the culprits had been your garden-variety students whose antics had caused the star quarterback to be permanently injured? Do you think the same judge would have been so lenient?

If this judge had not done this, I'll bet Bush would have flown back from Crawford to sign legislation overriding the judge's sentence.

It's just yet another example of this society bowing at the altar of high school football.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Ok, that just makes me sick to my stomach.

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

You Texans are sick with your football.

I blame you personally.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home