Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Snoop Kitty Kitty

According to the Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), the nation's largest and oldest provider of pet health insurance, the most popular pet names of 2008 were:

For dogs:
1. Max
2. Bailey
3. Bella
4. Molly
5. Lucy
6. Buddy
7. Maggie
8. Daisy
9. Sophie
10. Chloe

For the cats:

1. Max
2. Chloe
3. Tigger
4. Tiger
5. Lucy
6. Smokey
7. Oliver
8. Bella
9. Shadow
10. Charlie

There were some unusual names among the bunch as well. My personal favorites were “Meatwad” and “Snoop Kitty Kitty.”

Back when I lived in Dallas, a friend of mine had a pot-bellied pig named “Hamlet” which I thought was pretty clever. (Hamlet’s parents were Otis and Sophie, by the way).

If I ever had a dog or cat, I’d name it “Ouiser” after Shirley MacLaine’s character in Steel Magnolias. That has to be one of my all-time favorite movie characters, and with a very unique and appropriate name.

Of course, “Portia” is near and dear to my heart. Here is her happy mug as we were eating at an outdoor restaurant a couple of years ago.

4 Comments:

At 2:53 PM , Blogger Anne said...

A pig named hamlet is indeed very clever.

I had a cat named Grenadine about 20 years ago.

 
At 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got a Shepard named Max, so I guess he is in good company. Also a BeenyWeagle (that's a cross between a weeny dog and a beagle) named Chester. Officially they are Maxamillian and Chesterfield. Four cats (two on purpose and two adopted strays). Sonic and Tails, named from the video game "Sonic the Hedge Hog". Also Pepper aka Dr. Pepper and Peperoni. Finally there's Chibi which is Japanese for small.


Quite the crew.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger QuotidianEditorialist said...

Aw! Portia! How sweet.

Well, when I get my French Bulldog, I am naming him Antoine. Although, I rather like "Meatwad" myself. A guy I worked with had an Old English Bulldog named "Meaty".

 
At 12:26 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Aww, gotta love Portia! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home