Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inauguration

Well, I will say it - - - I was expecting a lot more from President Obama’s inaugural speech. I kept waiting for “the line” that we’ll all remember in history.

It never came.

There was no “The greatest thing to fear” line
or “Ask not what you can do for your country” line.

I was watching the speech with a large group of co-workers in the lobby of my workplace where we have a big TV on the wall. I kept waiting to get cold chills down my spine but it didn't happen.
For days now, the news commentators were saying how Obama would need to hit this one out of the ballpark. (I can’t believe I’m going to use a sports analogy here) He didn’t appear to do so, but he certainly didn’t strike out either.

Our president made it to first base – and I think the news commentators will have gotten him there by giving him a “walk.”
Like I should be the least bit critical. It's a good thing I didn't have to give a speech with billions of people watching. I would have required a large Thorazine drip.
I do think it’s pretty wonderful that we elected a president with the middle name of Hussein. It just goes to show the world that, perhaps, most Americans are intelligent enough to look beyond a name and any negative connotations we may think may have.

There’s always King Hussein of Jordan anyway. He was a good guy.

I did get chills up my spine when Aretha Franklin sang, though.

The First Lady made news by wearing a Toledo dress, but Aretha definitely stole the show with her hat! Oh my goodness, I loved loved loved that hat.

All in all, it feels really good to write “President Obama.”

I want to know more about that hat, though. . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM , Blogger sfoofie said...

c'mon...my favorite part of the speech:
"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

This is the price and the promise of citizenship."

I giggled at the hat - at least 'Rethie chose another color besides blue, black, or red. I got chills when the cannons were going off after the oath. Let's HOPE for a great new year!

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, I wonder if Obama was picturing that scene from Mommie Dearest when he gave his speech? *ha ha*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home