Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Great Technique!

Yesterday at work, I had to give a report on my program to a group of board members and constituents. It was in a big fancy board room and each of us had to stand at the head of the table and give our report.

I was a little nervous beforehand. These were all CEOs who were wearing way more expensive clothes than mine.

Anyway, right before I got up to give my report I sort of got the giggles. The reason for the giggles was because I thought of the scene from Mommie Dearest where the Joan Crawford character was about to be fired from the board of PepsiCo after her husband died.

She sat at the head of the big board table and screamed, “Don’t f**k with me, fellas!!! This ain’t my first time at the rodeo!!”

I love that scene.

Anyway, I thought of that and my nervousness completely went away.

Today, I had to speak on a teleconference to representatives from all 50 states and I thought of that scene from Mommie Dearest. It worked like a charm!

I’m sure you’ve heard the technique -- that if you’re nervous about speaking in front of a group, just picture them all in their underwear.

Nope – just think of Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford in that boardroom scene. It’s a jewel of a technique.

. . . Wow, I can’t believe it - - I found the scene online!

Check it out, and be sure to think of it the next time you have to speak in front of a large group.

Click here

(Warning: Scene contains 'strong language')

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:28 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That's just awesome. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home