Tuesday, November 25, 2008

This is Smarmy

I’m attending a grant-writing class for a couple of days. For some reason, it’s being taught at a police academy. Subsequently, many of the attendees are big, burly, masculine and packing very intimidating weapons.

And those are the women.

Yesterday, the instructor called me ‘Brandon’ during the session. I didn't say anything about it. But since then, a couple of the other students now call me Brandon. I haven’t corrected them. Brandon’s kind of nice name.

Have any of you seen that goofy guy on TV that does those horrible commercials where he says the government has all this money and all you have to do is ask for it?

His name is Matt Lesko, he wears these suits with question marks all over them and he screams all through the commercial that you can get FREE MONEY from the government.

Apparently, the government is just throwing millions of dollars into the reflecting pool in Washington. There’s all this cash just lying around and all we have to do is ask for it.

Have any of you seen this joker?

All this cash is there for us to use to pay for rent, utilities, student loans, and unless we ask for it, it will all go to waste. Just send $39.95 for the book which lists all the sources and then you can access all this cash that’s just there for the taking.

Anyway, there’s a woman in my class who was actually on Matt Lesko’s staff. She said she lasted about six months before quitting.

That book you can get for $39.95? (which actually comes to $69.95 after all is said and done)

Here’s the thing. According to this woman, all the sources contained in the book can actually be found in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance

It’s just a listing of potential sources where one can apply for funds. I doubt seriously that any individual who calls his phone number has the capacity to apply for and obtain these funds.

For "additional fees", you can get someone from Lesko's staff to assist you in doing so. ugh!

I'm sure there have been lots of little old ladies on fixed incomes who have fallen for this rip-off.

Isn’t that just the smarmiest thing ever?
Shame on him!

Class is about to begin again. I’ve got to put away my raisin bagel and cream cheese.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Can I have your notes from this class? I keep looking for a "real" class on grant writing-- and I'm just not in the loop. I think they are afraid where the money will go.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home