Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gym Apparel

Now that I’ve been going to the gym every day, I’ve had the chance to notice the various fashions that folks seem to sporting there.

First of all, when did guys start wearing these little bitty ankle socks with their shoes? It just looks so strange to see shorts hanging below the knee and socks rising no higher than a tennis shoe.
When did that happen?

I can’t stand the feeling of socks that hang around my ankles. If I had my preference, I’d wear tube socks that came up to my knees.

Not wanting to look like a total dork, I bought a cool looking pair of black Nike warm-up pants. That way, I can wear my tube socks like God intended and still look halfway decent.

Also, I still couldn’t figure out if my blue shorts were really gym shorts. I have a sneaking suspicion that they may have actually been swim trunks. Those, along with my purple shirt probably made me look like a Smurf.

Now that I’ve noticed what other people are wearing, I’m all in black. Except for my tube socks.

The other night, there was this guy wearing what appeared to be skin tight ballet leotards. Trust me, little was left to the imagination. It looked like he had a squirrel tucked away in his “frontular area”.

My apartment building seems to have a lot of elderly folks who have probably lived there since the place opened in 1964. I see a number of them at the gym and think, “Good for you!”

But what is it about elderly men that make them wear black socks with their shorts? I swear, they seem to love this fashion statement.

I shouldn’t be critical. I’m sure that some young guys have been snickering at my Smurf outfit and my white tube socks.

At least the old guys in their black socks and me in my tube socks ARE THERE.

6 Comments:

At 12:00 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

"A squirrel tucked away in his “frontular area”--LOL!

Oh, and I also hate the feeling of socks that hang around my ankles--I don't know how people stand that! Ewww!!!!

P.S. You inspired me to exercise tonight. Keep up the good work!! :)

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger John said...

One of my neighbors (I won't say who) stuffed a REAL squirrel down the front of his paints as an April Fool's joke this year. Which, sounds like a real clever idea 'till you remember how much squirrels like nuts. I guess it's a good thing he's already got 3 kids as he won't be havin' any more...

Huggs, etc...

 
At 12:33 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm very proud of you.

 
At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have a whole bunch of those ankle socks left over from the 80's... does this mean I can wear them again? Yay!

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Breenlantern said...

It's not the outfit, but the effort that matters. Good for you. P.S. I'm a tube sox man myself...

 
At 8:06 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

those socks are a euro thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home