Friday, April 18, 2008

Aqua

Chicago is definitely experiencing a condo-building boom.

Besides the 92-story Trump tower, the 150-story Chicago Spire, the 87-story condo building called Aqua is also shooting toward the skies of the Windy City.

It’s being built right across the street from my workplace and going up so fast that I just now noticed the darn thing.

Here are some snaps.
The balconies on this thing are so incredibly unique. Each floor has a different configuration of balconies so that, when complete, they’ll give the entire building an undulating effect.

SO. . . VERY. . . COOL!!!

Here's what it'll look like when completed:

I cannot imagine the complexity of the mathematical equations those balconies must require in order to specify their dimensions.

Get this - - the designer/architect is a woman, Jeanne Gang.
I thought only boys could build things.

I so wish I could have cheated off her tests during high school algebra. I’ll bet she could make those quadratic equations just sing.

Yes, the Aqua building is definitely unique.
But I still love my goofy Marina Towers with all its retro appeal and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:46 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I agree that Marina Towers is one of the bestest buildings ever but ding dong, that Aqua thing it terrific!

 
At 6:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that a woman designed this building. :-) I also like the ripple effect created by the balconies.

That's 3 NEW "skyscrapers" under construction. Chicago's skyline is certainly being updated!

 
At 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to sign my name! :-)

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I want to live there. Totally. What a cool-ass looking building!! :)

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

What miss healthypants said!

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Seachange: Actually, there are four. The 91-story Shangri-La Hotel and Condominiums are going up now. I'll post about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home