Monday, July 16, 2012

Language

Yesterday, I was doing my volunteer stint as a tour guide at the Baha'i temple for a few hours. The diversity of people that come through there is truly amazing. Sometimes, it looks like a convention at the United Nations. 
At one point, a group of nuns dressed in full habits came in and sat in the temple for quite some time. As they were leaving, one of them asked me (in very broken English) what the Arabic script at the top of the dome meant. Here's a photo of it:

I explained that it meant "O Glory to the Most Glorious." She had a perplexed look on her face, so I said, "In Latin, it's 'Gloria ad Glorioso.'" She immediately understood and gave me a big smile. 

Afterward, I thought how ironic it was that after all those years of studying Latin in the monastery, I was finally able to use it -- only to translate Arabic.

You just never know how life is going to turn out.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home