Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Eating Durian

Have you ever heard of the durian fruit? It's a large, spiky fruit from Southeast Asia that is, shall we say, definitely an acquired taste. It has a very distinct aroma which, some people say, smells like death; or smelly feet, or cat poop. Hotels and many other public places in Thailand forbid durian from even being brought on the premises. 

If you're familiar with Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods, you'll recognize him as the foodie who goes around the world eating the strangest foods imaginable. Insects, innards of every kind, rotting foods all get gulped down on his program.

Except the durian. The poor guy just can't eat it. There have been three episodes where he's encountered it and he usually ends up spitting it out.

Here's a clip from his show where one of the crew members tries it:


So, of course, I had to try it. 

I have tried it once before in a coconut smoothie. This time, a friend of mine had the real deal. Fresh durian.

It really does smell like death. It caused other people to flee from the kitchen.

It's reminiscent of creamy, putrid, rotting onions. 

But I have to tell you, there's something captivating about it. I can't put my finger on it, but even with its odor that's just about the most foul thing one can imagine, there's something appealing about it.

This is my third big bite of it.


I want my own TV show.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:28 AM , Blogger Bob said...

You're a better man than I.
I would have led the stampede from the room.

 
At 3:28 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Good for you, Dooder - embrace the weirdness! *hee hee*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home