Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Play Through the Pain

A few days ago, I "got a gig" to play three hours of piano music at a fundraiser at the Hilton Grand Ballroom here in Chicago. Pretty cool, huh? It's pretty much my dream job -- just to play soft, Classical background music while about a thousand folks drink wine and "network" and hobnob.

So, for the past couple of days I've been brushing up on my soft, non-intrusive Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin and Schubert -- the foofy stuff I like; things that are appropriate when one is standing around with a glass of Chardonnay. I would play some background, plinky-plunky "light jazz" but I'll admit to total ineptitude and ignorance when it comes to jazz, light or otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to this gig. A lot. 

Last night, I was reaching for a large saucepan from my wall where all my kitchen equipment hangs. Just as I plucked it, a stock pot fell from its perch and smashed my left thumb against the pan I was holding.

Bleeding ensued. As I was applying first aid, I noticed that my thumb was already swelling noticeably. Not a good sign. Luckily, the thumb wasn't broken or at least I don't think it is. It just has a really bad boo-boo.

My thumb is green and swollen, but I'll manage.

I had a chuckle when I thought about my mom. She's been a public school athletic coach for decades. She was top-notch at tennis, basketball, track and especially softball. I can still remember her when I was a kid as she pitched lots of really mean fast balls and strike-outs. (To other opponents -- not at me.)

At sports, I was even more inept than I am at playing jazz, but mom was always there with a sports analogy. (She also taught me to throw a pretty perfect free throw -- something I can still do to this day.)
"No pain, no gain," was often heard from mom.

So tonight as I grace the notes of Schubert and Chopin, I'll ironically be applying her coaching wisdom and just "play through the pain."

Thanks, mom.

3 Comments:

At 3:24 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Ha! I love it. :) (Not the pain you have, but your post. How ironic.) And so sorry about your sore thumb!!

Good luck tonight. :)

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Moms are wonderful at pithy, inspirational sayings.
Wish I could hear you play tonight.

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

I hope your thumb is healing and that the event went well. Did you get to have any Chardonnay?

My mom used to tell me that there were children in India who would be glad to have my spinach. And I was ready to send it to them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home