Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Up in Flames

Last night, Miss Healthypants came over after her yoga class for our usual Julia Child night. Last night’s menu consisted of Julia’s steak au poivre, creamed spinach and buttered artichoke hearts.


I was familiar with steak au poivre – steaks that have been coated with crushed peppercorns with a sauce made from beef stock, shallots, cognac and butter – but I’d never had it before.

I have to say that this is, hands down, the most delectable creation of Julia Child’s that I’ve ever had. I was surprised that such a simple sauce could be so incredibly appealing. My friend, Lorraine, said it best: “It’s beef crack.”

Part of the fun is getting to flambé the sauce. Julia says there’s no need to do so and that it’s a technique done to impress tourists.

Sorry, Julia, but it’s fun. Lot’s of fun as you can see from the video.




For this recipe, I used Angus rib-eye steaks. Miss Healthypants and I both like it pretty rare.

Here it is: Beef crack

2 Comments:

At 1:39 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, that was a blast! :) I kinda wish now that I hadn't told John he could have the leftovers. *smiles*

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Makes me hungry.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home