Friday, September 03, 2010

I've Been There!

Business presentations. Not the most enjoyable things in the world, but I do okay at them. Even though I'm sort of a quiet guy, there's a part of me that almost enjoys getting up in front of a group of people and making all the right noises. 

There have certainly been times, though, when I've conducted a business presentation and have said something that wasn't too bright, something I've later regretted, or have been at a loss for words.

I sleep with CNN on the TV every night (never Fox or MSNBC -- too screechy) and I couldn't help but notice Gov. Jan Brewer's recent foible. While I don't agree with her political platform and my liberal pundits seem to have taken delight in her mishap, I genuinely felt sorry for her.

I've been there.

I'm not a governor; just a mid-level state agency manager, but I have had to give my share of politicized presentations in Springfield. During these presentations, I've left important things out, inserted jokes that shouldn't have been included, bee-ess'd my way through a few answers, and have stood there during some embarrassing silences.

It's not fun. I've been there.

Governor Jan Brewer's interview:



Now, like I said, I don't mean to take delight in her little disaster there.
I've been there.

She may have been exhausted, or maybe anxious and didn't get any sleep the night before, or maybe some medication wasn't working quite right. She may have been feeling a sudden bit of "gastric distress."

I know! I've been there: Anxiety, sleep deprivation, forgotten the SSRI inhibitor, intestinal distress and all.

I'd certainly hope that my whole reputation would never ride on the merits of one presentation. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be a politician who is heralded by Sarah Palin.

And the moment I take delight in anyone's misfortune, I guarantee that karma will ensure that I will mess up even more.

However, I will never pass up the chance to acknowledge a clever bit of parody or satire:

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home