Monday, August 23, 2010

The Most Stupid Product in the World

Have you seen those commercials for the new Dyson "Air Multiplier?" It's a fan. A blade-less fan that produces a stream of uninterrupted air.

In the commercial, the snooty guy with the English accent tries to convince us that conventional fans produce lots of "air buffeting" which, unbeknownst to us, is just about the most dreadful, awful, most unpleasant thing in the world.

I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond-my-Budget today and they had one on display, the little blue one.
Here they are:

Of course, I had to see how the dern thing worked. I pawed it, poked it, and stuck my face in it until I figured it out.

You see, it actually does have a fan hidden in the base of it. The air is forced out through tiny slits in the ring which draws more air in through the ring. Price? $250.00.

Have we, as a society, become so fragile that we must no longer tolerate the "air buffeting" of a fan?

The public school I attended in South Texas wasn't air conditioned. For much of the school year, it was over 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Each classroom had one big fan in it.

I would LOVE for that snooty Dyson guy to have sat in one of those classrooms in August and try to convince us that "air buffeting" was unpleasant. He would have ended up with a Dyson ring around his neck.

But most of all, the phrase about the shit hitting the fan would be totally meaningless with these things.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:47 AM , Blogger Bob said...

I do know there are nights when the sound of a ceiling fan makes me wanna smother Carlos in his sleep.
Oh wait, no, that's his snoring.
Never mind!

 
At 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw these at Sears while I was paying for my vacuum. Like you, I had to play with it. I kind of want one now.

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I sleep with a fan in my room all year long..I like the white noise.
do you remember the big old black iron fans, the revolving ones that took 31/2 days to go from left to right?..now THAT was a fan.

 
At 2:27 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Granny: Yes, I remember watching those big black fans at our Baptist church. I'd just wait for it to come back around and cool me off.

JP: Yeah, I sorta want one too. Dyson is evil.

Bob: I don't snore, but I do laugh in my sleep. Or so I've been told. It's weird.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home