Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dvorak Update

It's been a long time since I've provided you, dear readers, with an update on my typing skills with the Dvorak keyboard. I'm sure you've all been wondering how it was coming along.

For those of you who don't know, the Dvorak keyboard uses a different layout than the standard "Qwerty" typing keyboard. It was designed in the 1930s when the first electric typewriters were used so that typists would utilize a lot less finger-motion.

Here's the layout:


When typing on this layout, all "finger-hopping" is eliminated and most of the typing is done on the home row. It's really pretty remarkable. As a pianist, it really appeals to me.

Try it. Imagine your index fingers on the "u" and the "h" on the layout above. Now type the word "something" or "these" or "months" and you'll see how little finger-motion is involved. Try typing your name, too. Isn't that incredible?

So, I took a typing test today.

Drum roll, please. . . . .

77 words per minute with no mistakes.


I realize that being so enthralled with the Dvorak keyboard is just about the geekiest thing ever.

That's fine. I'll look good in my Argyle sweater-vest while typing with lots less finger-motion.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:40 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Good job, ya' big ole' geek! :) :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home