Saturday, July 03, 2010

Yoga in the Park

I don’t “do” hot weather. Or sunshine for that matter.

The feeling of sweating just drives me nuts. To me, it's like scraping your nails on a chalk board. I really despise it. It's weird, I know.

So, it was really noteworthy that Miss Healthypants talked me into attending an outdoor yoga session at Millennium Park this morning.

Every Saturday morning at 8:00 am during the summer, there’s a free yoga session that takes place in front of the band shell. It truly is a beautiful setting, surrounded by Chicago’s skyline. I used to be “in” to yoga so it’s not unfamiliar to me and I’m still pretty bendy.

But I was hesitant to do this because it was supposed to be pretty hot today -- and I don’t “do” hot weather, remember? But MHP is pretty persuasive and knows which buttons to push.

So, I got up at 7:00 am this morning -- on a Saturday, mind you -- and met up with the ever so chipper MHP. It was already pretty warm.

We arrived at the yoga place and placed our mats down among the people. I’d say there were about two hundred folks there and the surroundings really were pretty incredible.

Here, take a look:



See? Did you notice all that dreadful sunshine?

I lasted about 30 minutes which was pretty good, I’d say. The sun was really beating down by then and the instructor favored the Downward Dog position way too much -- a position that is exceedingly difficult when one has really thin wrists and is a bit overweight.

MHP stayed until the bitter end and then even did their session of outdoor pilates. See? Healthypants.

Meanwhile, I slinked home in the comfort of an air-conditioned Taxi of Shame.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:08 PM , Blogger Speck said...

Holy Cow! I can't believe you fell for the old batting eyelash trick again from MHP. (sweet voice)"Oh come on! It'll be *good* for you! You'll like it!!!"

Umhum...how many times have you heard *that* before!?!

Geez, at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning my yoga would consist of the Horizontal Sleeping Dog position...for about five more hours.

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

LOL! :) Dooder, I'm glad you at least tried it--we made a memory! *smiles*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home