Thursday, May 27, 2010

Falling in Love

Oh, the joys of having really good tools to work with! Enough cannot be said about this.

Recently, I was preparing a Julia meal for eight at my friends’ house and they had just bought a Global 8-inch chef’s knife. “Here, see what you think of this knife,” said my friend, Steve. I picked it up, sliced an onion in half and fell in love. It sliced through chicken thighs like they were soft butter. While preparing the meal, I found myself giddy every time I got to use it.

Later, they surprised me with a generous gift card to the shop that sells Global knives – this was for doggy-sitting for a few days.

Yesterday, I finally went to the shop with the gift card for I wanted to buy a medium-sized saucepan and a stainless steel sauté pan. I had a good chef’s knife; good, not great. Fortunately, the store didn’t have the pans I was looking for but there were the Global knives in the glass case. I picked up the 8-inch chef’s knife and got that giddy feeling again. I had to have it.

After I got home with my new baby, I looked up reviews of the Global G-2 chef’s knife. I figured that good-old Wusthof and Henkel knives would still be the ones to acquire, but I was wrong.

My new Global G-2 from Japan has rocked the knife world. Take a look at this comprehensive review. It was at the top of the rankings in every category.

Sure, you’ll spend some money for it (about a hundred bucks), but I’ll fall in love and get giddy every time I use it.

You can’t put a price tag on that.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, I can't believe I just read an entire article about knife testing (but I did). And now I want that knife!!!! :)

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

I'll let you play with mine tonight after dinner. :)

 
At 5:28 AM , Blogger William V. Madison said...

OMG -- I was introduced to these knives by my friend Naru, a Japanese-born chef here in Paris. I used his once and instantly named it le couteau magique.

Now I've got two of my own, a little one (for the apartment and its tiny kitchen) and a big one (for the country house).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home