Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Playhouse Theater

There’s just something about an abandoned building that captivates me.

In this case, here is the movie theater where I went countless times while growing up. The Playhouse was built in the early 70s and was the “new” theater back then – one of those modern multi-theater houses. This one had three – count ‘em – three screens.

In 1973, I can still remember The Exorcist playing here and the line winding all the way behind the building. (I was 14 and definitely not allowed to see it.) It scared the bejeezus out of me but I couldn’t tell my mom that I had disobeyed and had had a clandestine, unsanctioned viewing of it.
Back in 1975, I had just acquired my driver’s license and I drove here to see Jaws six times. Star Wars also played here, lines around the back again, but I never saw it. Still haven’t.

The Playhouse sits silent now, cold, wet, and forgotten.

It seems just like yesterday when Linda Blair was scaring the crap out of me inside this building.

Good times.

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM , Blogger Barb said...

I find that so sad... I rarely go back to my childhood home for that very reason. As for Star Wars, highly overrated in my opinion and I still can't hear the music from the Exorcist without getting the creeps.

 
At 3:41 PM , Blogger Fleeter said...

I remember seeing "Gone with the Wind" there. I saw "Jaws" at the El Rancho downtown. Ms Q took a carload of us to Victoria to see it.

A few years later while living in Victoria, I'd hang out at the Playhouse watching matinees during the hot summer afternoons while I was working as an 'on-call' hotshot driver for the oilfield.

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Iwanski loves abandoned buildings, too--he would love to sneak into that building and take some pictures! :)

 
At 12:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could purchase it? Just a thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home