Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thank you!

One of my biggest pet peeves these days is the way twenty-something women are speaking. I’m wondering what caused them all to develop these fake, nasally, clenched voices that make me want to jam a corkscrew in my eye.

The best example is the way they say, “Thank you.”

It never comes out with a plain, American pronunciation, but with a nasally, squeaky, “Theenk yeaw.”

I hold the door open for a young woman and hear,

“Theenk yeaw.”

Then, I want to scream at her and say, “The word is ‘thank', not ‘think’ you vapid, imbecilic dolt!

Who started this trend and how did it perpetuate itself?

If someone has any insight to this, I’d love to know.

Thank you.

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM , Blogger f8hasit said...

I think it was Fran Dressner.
She's to blame for everything wrong with any woman.

:-)

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Lille Diane said...

Some say, "Spank you." But they are intentionally putting a twist on it. What bothers me more is how many have forgotten to say thank you at all. Nice place you have here. I'll be back....

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Speck said...

Guilty as charged. I think girls do this 1) because any act of chivalry takes them by surprise and the response comes out squeaky, and 2) the littlegirlbaby voice boosts the male ego and makes them feel like a manly-man protecting the innocent.

I do it because my regular deep voice, coupled with my appearance, would remove all doubt that I am a pre-op tranny, and that would squick out the poor guy holding the door.

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

This made me laugh! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home