Monday, October 05, 2009

The Huge Inconvenience

As of today, the laundry room in my building is closed for renovation. Each 60-story tower of Marina Towers has a laundry room on the 20th floors and, beginning today, mine will be out of commission for about a month.

Even though only half of my stuff needed laundering, I did laundry last night knowing that it wouldn’t be convenient to do so for the next month.

Everyone else in my building had the same bright idea.

I’ve never seen that poor laundry room so busy. Everyone coming in and out of the elevators had laundry baskets with them.

It’s not like we won’t have access to a laundry room for the next month. It’ll just be a little inconvenient to walk across the lobby and up to the other tower. And, of course, the laundry room in the other tower will be serving double-duty for a while.

Still, we were all getting our laundry done before this HUGE INCONVENIENCE set it. You could feel the tension in the laundry room and see the panic in each other’s eyes. It was as if we were Titanic passengers, leaping for the last lifeboats.

The next month will be difficult. I’ve thought of different strategies I could employ rather than subjecting myself to the HUGE INCONVENIENCE of schlepping my dirty underpants to the other tower and back.

I’ll admit that my laundry basically consists of underpants, socks and towels. I don’t launder my own shirts and pants because then you have to iron them and, well, that’s just not gonna happen. I have them all dry-cleaned instead.

I could just keep buying new underwear and socks until the new laundry room is ready. (It’s not like I haven’t bought new undies when I ran out of clean ones.)

I could hand-wash everything in the bathtub rather than trudging all the way across the lobby with my laundry. (Don’t think I haven’t considered it.)

What if I get all the way across the lobby, up the other tower, and all the washers are occupied? I might have to come back and do the trek across the lobby all over again!

Sigh. . . .

At least, for now, I’ve got a good supply of clean laundry.

For now.

I’ll keep you all posted on this precarious situation.

3 Comments:

At 6:16 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Oh, the horror!! *grin*

Hey, you could always camp out in the laundry room and wait for a washer or dryer to open up...sounds like fun!! :)

 
At 10:47 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

I remember living in Brooklyn and the huge inconvenience of having to schlep my laundry over to the laundromat two streets over. Oh wait - that really was a big inconvenience. When I moved to a house with a washer and dryer I felt as if I had moved from the third world to the first. Such Western decadence.

I have to go pat my appliances now and tell them how much I love them.

 
At 11:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wash them yourself and get a $9 line to hang in your bathroom. You can them hang those "undies and socks" on them to dry. Use Woolite. :) Have fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home