Tuesday, July 21, 2009

An Urban Legend that is True

For years, I had heard about Dr. Joyce Jones who has been a long-time organ professor at Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

I had heard through a friend of mine who is an organist in Dallas that Dr. Jones would often play “The Flight of the Bumble Bee” during her performances.

What’s so sensational about that? Lots of people can play The Flight of the Bumblebee. (Hell, I can even play Bumblebee) It’s tricky, but not insurmountable.

The thing is, Dr. Jones would play it on the organ - - -
- - - on the pedals!

Like I said, I had heard about this for years and assumed it was some sort of organ urban legend.

That is, until I came across someone here in Chicago who actually studied with her and confirmed that, yes, she does indeed play Bumblebee on the pedals.

“It’s on Youtube,” he said.

And indeed it was.

The thing that really blew me away, (besides the fact that she plays in on the pedals) is that she plays it so fast!

Oh my goodness. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Bumblebee played this fast with fingers, much less with feet.

This woman must have calves and quads made of steel.

(The embedding feature doesn't seem to work, so please click here to watch it.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That is really pretty incredible! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home