Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Morning Scene - Signs


On my way to work each day, I pass by this little street that has, apparently, been the target of excessive honorary names in the past.

This street (Beaubien Court) is just a one-block long side street, yet it has been festooned with signs that give homage to past dignitaries.

I’ve seen these “honorary” street names all over Chicago. I don’t know the purpose in doing that other than someone gets to see their name on a counterfeit street sign.

I’ve yet to see a street such as Beaubien Court that has had, not one, but two other street names slapped on it.

One is Hon. Allen Hartman and the other is Canada Place. Both were honored at the same time, back in 2006.
So, one of this street's names is actually "Honorary Hon. Allen Hartman Way".
That's an awful lot of honor.

Here’s what I wonder about. . . . If this street is given two honorary street names, does that dilute the honor of each name by half? Since one of the names has "honorary" in it twice -- is that the justification city officials used for diluting the honor by half?
Like I said, I pass by this street twice a day, so I often ponder this stuff.

I think if I was the Hartman family, I’d be pretty insulted by having the shortest street in all of Chicago named after my family member. Not only that, his honor was instantly lessened by fifty percent.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

How do they manage all that on street maps?

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dooder, you make me laugh! :)

By the way, I'm not dying...yet.

:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home