Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Lent

I’m almost sad that Lent is coming to an end.

I know we’re supposed to practice self-denial during Lent. So, this year I decided to give up ‘delayed gratification’ during these forty days. That may sound funny to you, but I have to say that it’s been the most productive, insightful Lent I’ve ever experienced.

I didn’t realize how tentative I was about most endeavors. Maybe that’s due to being *ahem* middle-aged or slowing down or perhaps a general lack of enthusiasm about anything in general. But making a conscious effort to “just do it” for forty days has really been a period of growth for me.

I’ve realized how most of my tentativeness stems from plain ‘ol fear. That’s hardly a way to live one’s life. And let’s face it – we only get one crack at this chance to be on an earthly stage.

The things I’ve found most gratifying are the things I’ve really worked for. Conversely, my biggest regrets in life were over things I failed to accomplish. And why didn’t I undertake those endeavors?

Fear.

Fear of criticism, of not being able to achieve it, of finding the necessary steps unpleasant, of what others may think, fear of the future, maybe even fear of success, but the list goes on, ad nauseum.

A certain Nazarene two thousand years ago certainly knew the brevity of our time on earth. Whether or not he actually experienced a resurrection, I really don’t know. The fact that he (God) experienced an earthly life and death just like we do has always been enough for me.

But he seemed to make the most of it while he was here. Maybe I can do just a little bit of that too.

Giving up 'delayed gratification' for Lent may sound funny; I doubt many senior church officials would sanction it . . . but it works for me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dooder, I looooved this blog! And you are so right--I think this was a wonderful Lenten resolution! *smiles*

 
At 10:01 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That is just beautiful.

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Diane said...

I love your Lenten resolution! I think the New Agers call this finding your authentic self. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home