Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dvorak Keyboard . . . The Story Continues

I am having an absolute blast learning to type on the Dvorak keyboard layout. It’s amazing how the mind works and learns new things.
I’ve been a pretty good typist on the standard QWERTY layout for 35 years. So, retraining the mind and fingers to do something completely different is really a challenge, but one that I’m enjoying wholeheartedly.

I think I might become an evangelist for the Dvorak keyboard. It just makes so much sense. When typing on Dvorak, you use a lot less finger-motion and your most-often used letter combinations just seem to “fall” under your fingers. As a pianist, I can truly appreciate it.

So far, I’m just on the eight fingers of the “home row”

Here’s the Dvorak keyboard, by the way.

So, using “a,o,e,u” on the left hand and “h,t,n,s” on the right, I’m practicing with the following sentences:

Eat the toast at ten to noon
The Taos sun shone as hot as Santa Anna
Anthea assesses the estate at South Tahoe
Hotshot Hanna uses these shoes that Shannon soon sees
At noon on the teahouse Aunt Tess hushes the nauseous host
Tess Sutton notates the tenuous state that southeast Houston has seen
Ethan Ness attests to these Tennessee Senate OSHA statues to shun Utah

The biggest challenge so far is using the “s” with the pinky of the right hand. For some reason, I just can’t “get” that.

They say that you can double your typing speed using Dvorak and I can certainly see how that would be possible.

I just hope I can get this old grey matter to do it after all these years.

I’ll keep you posted.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

But soon..there will be NO keyboards...just voice..and what we can do to chat...like...How R U....what is N with U....etc.

 
At 10:42 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

It sure is challenging!--I can attest to that! *smiles*

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I do not want to retrain my brain in this way. And why is there a new version? I want a voice activated coffee maker.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home