Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Bacon Explosion

In recent posts, I’ve been writing about eating healthy.

First, there was vegetarian fare. Then, I got healthier and it became vegan. Then, I went even further and was all into raw-vegan.

I really enjoy eating raw-vegan but admit that I’ve allowed about 20 to 50 percent of my diet to be cooked vegan. Each day I manage to have a big glass of my cilantro smoothie (it contains cilantro, cucumber, grapefruit, spinach, an apple, and pineapple) and I also eat a bunch of dates and prunes.

Tonight, I’m meeting Miss Healthypants and our friend, Liane, for Thai food. If a chicken or beef dish is ordered, I certainly won’t pass it up. That’s silly.

I love to write about food and since I’ve spent quite a bit of blog-space writing about an extremely healthy diet, I thought I’d go about as far the other way as one could possibly get.

I present to you, the Bacon Explosion.

It turns out that these two guys developed a food item called a Bacon Explosion a couple of months ago. They blogged about it and, unfortunately, their Bacon Explosion is sweeping the country. They’ve had about a half-million hits to their Bacon Explosion Blog and a New York Times article was just published about it.

I’d kill for publicity like that. I doubt that my cilantro smoothie will have such a following which tells you something about our dietary priorities in this country.

Anyway, to make a Bacon Explosion, you begin with two pounds of thick-cut bacon and criss-cross it like a pie lattice:

Cover it with seasoning and then smash a bunch of Italian sausage over it.

Top that with lots of crispy-fried bacon.

Roll it up into a big torpedo and slather it with barbecue sauce.

Cook it on a smoker until the internal temperature is 165. You can also cook it in an oven.

Slice and enjoy! It would probably be a big hit at a Superbowl party or great on a McMuffin
Most importantly, don't forget to make a monthly appointment for a colonoscopy.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger QuotidianEditorialist said...

If you stuff that thing with steak, onions and cheese rather than sausage, you have a victim.

 
At 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adkins Dream Meal! I know what I'm having this weekend!

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

YUM!!!! :)

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

I like bacon and sausage as much as the next carnivore but that just made me feel ill. Bleh.

So cilantro smoothie, huh? I do like cilantro...

 
At 10:44 PM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

OMG..this is incredible! MMMM...bacon

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger Barb said...

That's just a heart attack waiting to happen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home