Monday, July 14, 2008

Life in the City

Yesterday, I was heading out of the subway station and just as I exited the turnstile, I felt something brush across my backside. Instinctively, I reach back to make sure my wallet was still there.

And it wasn’t.

A cold flash shot through me. I thought of the credit cards and ATM card in my wallet. Fortunately, I think I only had a ten dollar bill in there.

I immediately looked back to see this young punk skittering down the steps with my wallet as he stuffed it in his front pocket. I bolted through the turnstile after him.

He was running down the subway platform and headed for a southbound train that had just arrived. I was yelling, “That kid’s got my wallet! He’s got my wallet!

Sure, I might only have a few bucks in the wallet, but this kid had no consideration for me and how much trouble stealing a wallet causes people.

I was SO enraged! The adrenaline was pumping.

Just as he bolted into the subway car, I grabbed him from behind with an arm around his neck and flung him to the platform.

“You little shit! I yelled at him.

Quick as a flash, I grabbed the wallet out of his front pocket. By that time, a crowd had gathered along with a police officer.

I was about to show the police officer the identification in my wallet . . .

. . . and then I woke up.

I can’t remember when I’ve had a more realistic dream. I was still seething.

I’ve always been very careful with my wallet when I’m on public transportation. I keep it either in my front pocket or buttoned in the back pocket.

Only once has someone tried to steal it on the subway. Just as I was exiting the train, some guy seated behind me made a feeble attempt to paw at my pocket. However, he was so drunk he could hardly see straight. I just glared at him as I exited the train.

But this dream was so vivid.

As I walked to work this morning, I was extra-careful with my wallet. I imagine I always will be from now on.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dooder, the whole time I was reading this, I was thinking, why didn't he call me and tell me this?!

I'm glad it was only a dream! What could this mean? Who are you mad at right now? What are you afraid is going to happen in your life?

 
At 10:59 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Damn!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home