Monday, May 19, 2008

Women's Gymnastics

I remember becoming hooked on women's gymnastics during the 1972 Olympics. Do any of you remember Olga Korbut?

She was the star of the show back then and I can remember so well the first time her "Korbut Flip" on the uneven bars was televised. Nothing like it had ever been done before and it was truly electrifying.

The "Korbut Flip" entailed standing on the higher bar, then doing a back flip and catching the same bar. Here's a video of it. Check it out.

After the 1972 Olympics, I became obsessed with gymnastics and was determined to be able to perform a floor exercise routine. (I don't know what came over me -- I was thirteen, so there's that).

I was hell-bent on being able to do a front handspring. I could do a cartwheel and a round-off, but not the elusive front handspring.

I practiced and practiced, doing all sorts of ridiculous tumbling moves in the front yard. Then, finally one day, I did it! No one in my whole school could do a front handspring; not even any of the cheerleaders. But I could.

Somewhere, there's an old 8 mm film of me performing my front handspring on the beach. It was the only athletic thing I ever did.

Okay, you know I've got to end this story with something humorous. Check out this video of this "gymnastic comedian." I swear, it's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Click here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:03 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Somebody needs to dig up that old super 8 and digitize it for the world...

 
At 12:54 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

my mother's name is Olga

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home