Sunday, June 24, 2007

Here's the Sandwich

Lorraine over at Here's the Thing has truly inspired me with her new food blog, Here's the Dish. Her recipes, cooking tips and insights are so impressive and to top it all off, her writing is so appealing to read as well.

Recently, I've been trying to eat healthy at lunch while at work. It's difficult to do because I'm not the most disciplined person in the world and it takes a bit of that to prepare a lunch to take with you. Also, there are SO many good places to eat where I work which makes it all the more tempting just to schlep down to the food court in the building rather than exercise a bit of self restraint.

So, awhile back I was a little intrigued by the Raw Food movement and poked a tentative toe in its pool. I was impressed by the idea of eating a vegan diet and even more so with the idea of eating only uncooked foods.

So, I developed a vegan, raw food sandwich spread that actually tastes good. Mighty good, in fact. And it's good for you. And it's inexpensive, easy to prepare and easy to pack along as a lunch. Yay.

It's made from soaked split peas. I like it as a sandwich spread with mayo and little grape tomatoes. (I know, mayo isn't vegan, but you can buy "Vegannaise" if you want.) If you want to go total Raw Food, stuff it inside half a yellow bell pepper, top it with grape tomatoes, shredded carrots and purple cabbage. Very colorful.

And no, I'm not some health-food, vegan, salad-head either. I had fried chicken for lunch today with a side of Tater-Babies.

Here's my sandwich spread:

1 16-0z pkg dried green split peas
Juice of 2 limes
2 tsp salt
4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup oil (olive oil or half olive and half flaxseed)

Cover split peas with water and soak overnight in the fridge.
Drain water off split peas.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Serve on whole grain bread, mayo and grape tomatoes.

Here's a pretty pic with a side of fresh mango.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That is very pretty!

And thanks for the shout out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home