Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I Love My Apartment


Having been raised in a teeny weeny town (pop. 1,700) in South Texas, my life's ambition was to live in a big city where it wasn't hot. I lived in Dallas for ten years which was nice, but Dallas is still Texas. Dallas is BIG and incredibly, abominably HOT.

Three years of grad school took place at U. of Toronto which was wonderful and definitely not hot. Loved it. Toronto has to be the Greatest City Ever and I'd give anything to be able to live there. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult for U.S. citizens to immigrate to Canada, so I moved to Chicago after that because it's just like Toronto only not as clean and with a lot more crime. (I blame Bush for that).

Last year, I was downtown and walking by the Marina City towers which are pretty noticeable landmarks in Chicago. Rising 61 floors, they're commonly referred to as the "corn-cob" towers or the "George Jetson" towers and are truly quite unique in their appearance. I was offered a good deal that I couldn't pass up. Signed a lease, and I've been here for two years now.

All the apartments are pie-shaped and it's pretty cool to have no 90-degree angles. My apartment still has the original 1962 design, so my bathroom has a lemon-yellow tub and toilet complete with one-inch aqua-and-chocolate tile all over. Can you imagine?

I do have Italian marble floors throughout, but still have lime-yellow metal cabinets in the kitchen. Love it! While my abode is an itty-bitty apartment, a whopping 600 sq. ft., I love it dearly.

I still wish I could move back to Toronto, but the Canadians really don't want us there. I can't blame them, actually.
I'll blame Bush for that.
In the meantime, enjoy the pics from my balcony.

2 Comments:

At 2:24 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Possibly the coolest apartment building EVER! You need to post some interior pics.

I once lived in a wedge-shaped house with no 90 degree angles. It was cool. Even the kitchen drawers were on an angle. And the deck in back ended in a perfect sharp point. I loved that house. My university pulled it down to put up their school of business. It was wrong on so many levels.

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Your northwest view is the best. I want to bring my new camera over there soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home