Thursday, December 29, 2005

Rippin' & Poddin'

I must have been a very good boy this past year because Santy Claus surprised me with a brand new i-Pod. Yay! I've been wanting an i-Pod for quite some time but it's just one of those things that cost quite a bit and for which I could do without. Sort of like Dick Cheney.

So, after the holiday mayhem subsided, I got out my shiney new i-Pod, carefully read the directions, downloaded the software and began loading it up with my CD collection.

Warning: Once you begin, you can't stop. At all. It was already late at night, but I'd keep loading "just one more." It just felt so good to get each CD onto my shiney new toy.

I also realized what a wierd collection of music I'd amassed. First, I loaded on my complete collection of Beethoven Piano Sonatas (ten CD's) then the complete Bach Preludes & Fugues for harpsichord (six CD's) and segued right into the complete works of Janis Joplin.
Yes, Janis Joplin. Then the works of Emerson, Lake & Palmer from the 70's and (now I'm really ashamed) . . . Abba. Mixed in there was Mozart, Schubert, Prokofiev, and (I'm even more ashamed) . . . Enya.

This process got me to thinking about the many modes of music mediums that I've used throughout my forty-plus years.

When I was a toddler, I had a little kiddie record player that had big needles that needed replacing about once a month or so. I just loved that thing and can still remember my Dad replacing the thick needles in the arm of the player for me.

I remember eating fried chicken at the Red Top Cafe in Azle, Texas where each booth had and outlet to the juke box. I was just amazed at how you could put a nickle in, punch some buttons and the juke box on the opposide side of the room would play your selection. Wow!

My high-school aged baby sitters would bring over their little carrying case of 45's to listen to while they ignored my brother and me. I loved Buddy Holly's Everyday and could sing right along with it.

The first time I bought my own music was one of those wonderful 8-track tapes. God! Those were so cool back then. Cutting edge, let me tell you. My first 8-track was Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. (I've included the album cover here) By the time I was eighteen I had every ELP album along with Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, and Janis Joplin. Ah, those were the days . . . .

Now, I'm ripping CD's and podding them onto my tiny little i-Pod so that I can listen to Beethoven and Janis Joplin while riding the subway.

Quite a bit different from poking buffalo nickles in the remote jukebox at the Red Top Cafe. . .

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I love Abba!! *grin*

Then again, I also love Barry Manilow, so I guess that's not saying much for Abba.

*smiles* Fun blog, dooder! :)

Love,

Poodle :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home