Tuesday, March 27, 2012

'Copter Parents

Organizers at an annual Easter egg hunt in Colorado Springs have cancelled this year’s event due to hundreds of parents swarming the egg-laden playing field last year to ensure their kid got an egg. 

“Helicopter parents” spoiled it for everyone. You know the type: Parents who closely hover around their kid to make sure the little darlings do well in sports, school, and all other life-changing activities such as procuring a colored egg.
  
I remember attending an Easter egg hunt when I was about six years old. It was held at my friend, Judi’s, house. The activity, overseen by her mom, was your typical scene: Two dozen kidlets, baskets in hand, were released into the back yard onto which a few dozen eggs had been strategically hidden. 

Being a semi-aggressive athletic event, I was at a disadvantage but didn’t seem to mind. Somehow, my six-year-old mind saw little intrinsic value in snatching up more hard-boiled eggs than another kid. I wandered around a bit, feigned egg-searching motions and eventually sat under a tree.

Once the frantic egg-snatching died down, Judi’s mom declared the hunt concluded. She then divided up the eggs evenly among the participants, cake and ice cream was enjoyed, and all was well. No feelings were hurt and there was nary a helicopter parent in sight.   

I'm very happy to say that Judi and I are still close friends to this day.  

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:44 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I like Judy's mom.

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

I liked Judy's mom, too. She always had a smile on her face. I remember her well.

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

Goodness. The whole point of these sorts of events is to get the kids out of my hair for a few minutes, not for me to have to participate too.

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Good point, Alice. I think that was one of the sole reasons I was sent to church camp.

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger Bob said...

Some people are not meant to be parents.
Just cuz you can make a baby doesn't mean you should.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home