Monday, September 27, 2010

A Sign of the Times

Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve loved watermelon. So did my grandmother, “Budgie”, -- she was just nuts about it -- and no doubt I picked up on her love for it at a very early age. She and I could polish off a huge amount of it in a sitting. Eating watermelon with Budgie was almost a holy sacrament between us.


Here’s a photo of us sharing one back in ’92 or ’93. We were very happy.

So, all summer long I really enjoy the bounty of my most favorite fruit. My favorite way to eat it is to make a watermelon sorbet. It’s really easy now that God finally decided to invent seedless watermelons (something He should have done long ago in my opinion.)

To make watermelon sorbet: Cut a seedless watermelon into 1-inch chunks and freeze them. Blitz them in a food processor with lemon juice and sweetener of your choice. I use the artificial stuff. Watch out for ice-cream headaches.

I’ve enjoyed my watermelons all summer long until a couple of weeks ago when my usual grocery store no longer had them. Awwww. So sad. Autumn was, indeed, upon us.

Then, last week, I went to Trader Joe’s and they had a huge box of them right by the entrance. Yay! I had been expecting to go through an eight month watermelon draught and good-old Trader Joe’s came through for me. I didn’t have my grocery cart with me so I had to lug the thing home seven blocks away. It was worth it.

I wanted to go right back with my cart and get a couple more of them, but I didn’t. However, on Sunday I did take my watermelon-cart with me to church so that I could hit Trader Joe’s right after. I was hoping I didn’t wait too long and they’d still have them.

After church, I went whizzing around to TJs with my cart bouncing behind me, anxious to snatch up a couple of watermelons. The automatic doors swung open and there was the big box on display. Yay!

However, it didn’t contain watermelons.

It was filled with pumpkins.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:12 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

Watermelon is my absolute favorite fruit. To my mind, it's the only good thing about summer. I hardly ever see anyone eat them the way you are in the photo. We have photos like that from my childhood. You sat down to a quarter melon, a knife and fork, and a salt shaker. In those days I wouldn't have dreamed of eating watermelon without salt (my children and husband are aghast at the very idea. And now the melon season is past. I don't like orchard fruit that much, and I really don't like pumpkin. Sigh.

 
At 7:09 PM , Blogger Bob said...

Pumpkins ruin EVERYTHING!

 
At 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would eat more watermelon if they would sell them without the seeds. Maybe they do, I haven't checked in awhile.

Love the picture of you and Budgie! Cute, cute.

 
At 8:11 AM , Blogger Barb said...

I guess we are fortunate to have watermelons all year here in Fla ~ and even better that they are the seedless kind. My youngest would live on them if she could. Will have to try making the sorbet. Sounds good.

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger Fleeter said...

Love seeing the picture of Budgie!

 
At 5:19 AM , Blogger William V. Madison said...

I stand with those who love the picture of you and Budgie. Just wonderful.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Bad Alice: Budgie always put lots of salt on her melon. I never could do the salt thing.
Bob: You're right. I don't like pumpkin.
JP: Yes, there are seedless melons and they're really great. Oh, and follow my recipe for sorbet, add rum, and you have a frozen watermelon daiquiri.
Barb: Definitely try the watermelon daiquiris.
Claye and Bill: It's great to hear from folks that knew Budgie. Thanks.

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Damn, pumpkins aren't nearly as good as watermelons!!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home