Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent - Update No. 3

Okay, I promised you a step-by-step procedure for making your own laundry detergent, complete with photos. (The lovely Miss Healthypants was kind enough to take the photos) I’ve now perfected the method and shall now impart my wisdom to you all. I know you’ve all been waiting ever-so patiently for this.

I know! I’ll admit that this is really exciting stuff!

Here you go.

Gather your ingredients. You will need the following.

1) 1 cup of “20 Mule Team” Borax Laundry Booster
2) 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
3) 2 bars of soap (your choice)
You can easily find all this stuff in your regular supermarket.
It's really cheap, too.

First, prepare the bars of soap. You’ll need two of them.

I’m using Coast deodorant soap here because I really like the way it smells. See how happy I am?
(Oh my goodness, this blousy, un-tucked shirt makes me look fat.)

I have found that the best way is to grate the bars of soap is in the food processor, like you would with carrots or Parmesan cheese. It takes seconds to do. Tump the grated soap into a separate bowl and put the S-blade in the food processor.
Pour in 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Washing Soda,and the grated soap.
Blitz - blitz - blitz.
And there you have it. Perfect laundry detergent that smells really nice.
It really takes only seconds to make. For low-suds front loading machines, use 2 tablespoon per load. (This comes out to 4 cents per load.)
Use 4 tablespoons for regular washing machines.
For my next update, I plan to stain two white T-shirts with something really stainy, like mustard, and wash one T-shirt with super-expensive laundry detergent and the other with my homemade stuff, then compare the two.

You didn’t really think I’d be over my homemade laundry detergent phase with this post, did you??

Oh my goodness, you don’t know me very well at all.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

What a fun project...! You know this means I won't be able to retire...I used to work for P&G (maker of Tide, etc) and have stock in the company.

 
At 1:24 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Mary Ruth - - thanks for the encouragement and I'm really sorry about the retirement.

Shall we start our own company instead?

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Hey, nice pictures! You must have had an awesome photographer. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home