Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday Blues

We’ve had an unseasonably warm autumn this year in the Windy City. So much so, that the opening of the ice rink at Millennium Park has been delayed one week. That was hugely disappointing to me.

But lookie here. Right on cue, winter is arriving. It’s supposed to snow tomorrow. Then, it’ll be blustery with a low of 29 tomorrow night, just like God intended.

See?
I’ve worked really hard this week and with more stress than I normally have to endure. Now I feel like I’m coming down with a cold or something icky.

I can’t get Enya’s ‘Amarantine’ out of my head. I
hate it when that happens.

I won’t be going back to the Starbuck’s located in the office building where I work. It’s just too much of a hassle.

This morning, the coffee makers in our break room weren’t working due to overloaded circuit breakers or something. So, I decided to head to Starbuck’s in the lobby along with everyone else who occupies the 82 other floors of the building.

The line was snaking out the door, but then again, it always is. However, they had an employee with a vireless head-set asking everyone in line what they wanted. She was relaying the orders to the staff behind the counter.

I thought that was very clever and thought I might get my coffee pretty soon. Keep in mind that I just order “coffee” at Starbuck’s; not one of their special concoctions like a mocchiano, no-fat, soy, red-eye, half-whip, double-down, with sugar-free-shot of hazelnut.

I just order “coffee.”

She took my order and relayed it in.

Well, their little scheme of taking our orders was very deceptive because when I got in the store and paid for my coffee, I discovered a venti-sized crowd of people waiting for their orders.

I waited.
And waited.
And waited.

It was utter confusion in there. I don’t know why the guy who took my money couldn’t have just reached back and dumped some coffee into a cup for me.

Finally, I just gave up and left. Starbuck’s can keep my $2.18. It wasn’t worth the hassle.

I made a big mug of hot tea. Not a chai-no-foam-soy-sugar-free cup of tea. Just a bracing mug of “Lipton.”

I think this might be a good weekend to make a big pot of soup, watch back-to-back movies on Lifetime and just be a couch-tater.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

Seriously.....excited about COLD weather???? I freeze when it dips below 45! It can't be hot enough for me! Richard likes cold weather too.....there is something so wrong about that! I guess I need to live in the desert or something! I hope all is well and so sorry about the coffee!

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Barb said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend. Wish it was a bit cooler here. I need to finish up a quilt and hate having it on top of me when it's hot out!

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, John and I took a long walk today--it was COLD!!

But somehow I survived. A cup of coffee (yes, plain coffee) from McDonalds helped. :)

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

Pershing Square in downtown Los Angeles will be starting their rink next week. I may have to go check it out. I wonder where all the homeless guys are gonna go?

 
At 2:26 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Poo. Personally, *bux needs to reorg (again) and create express lanes for people who just frakking want coffee. Seriously. My standing order, for 413 years of *buxery has been "tall drip, no room". It's not rocket science.

 
At 9:53 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Okay, Karen, we're going ice skating. On one of those January days in Chicago when it's windy and minus 10 outside.

Barb: That quilting thing is way beyond me. I'm truly amazed by that talent.

MHP: Yay! Winter in Chicago! Nothin' like it.

MaryRuth: You should really try skating - - with a good friend.

Lorraine: I should relay your idea to the 'bux here. You and I have the same standing order.

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger Speck said...

Ewwwww...cold weather, coffee and Starbucks. The trifecta of ewwwiness.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home