Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Diosa on the River

Yesterday, soon after I got home from work and had changed into my play clothes, the phone rang. It was my friends, Jack and Steve, who were downtown after having seen a movie.

They wanted me to join them for dinner, but not at just any old place. Awhile back, I had blogged about a new sidewalk sushi place that had opened up on the Chicago River Walk. I was sort of making fun of it because it’s right up next to Lower Wacker Drive and surrounded by concrete walls. Even though I'd never been there, I had written a nasty little review of the place:

Chicago's newest eatery, Diosa on the River!

Come try our delicious sushi, prepared fresh daily in a trailer while experiencing our unique al fresco dining. You'll be sure to enjoy exhaust fumes emanating from Lower Wacker Drive on one side along with the fetid, garbage-festooned Chicago River on the other.

(Here is a much kinder review)


Anyway, Jack and Steve wanted to eat there.

“You’ve got to be kidding,” I said.

They were laughing, but seriously wanted to eat there just because I had made fun of the place.

They were within two blocks of it, so after making sure repeatedly that it wasn’t a joke, I headed out to meet up with them.

Sure enough, as I headed across the bridge, there they were, waving at me from below. There were only two other people there.


I have to hand it to this place, Diosa on the River. They are really trying hard. They’ve recently installed one of those giant blowing-balloon things on the street-level to make it known that they are, indeed, down there. (Those things always give me the creeps).



The food was really very good if you don’t mind using plastic plates, forks, and cups. One good puff of wind and, I suppose, your entire meal could be blown into the Chicago River.

And, just as I expected, there was constant traffic noise emanating from Lower Wacker Drive just a few feet away.

Of course, I took photos.
Things began with a lovely little salad:


And moved on to fried calamari with grilled pineapple

Followed by some really pretty sushi


We have the lovely Chicago River by our side:


With Marina Towers looming up above (that's where I live)


With the Trump Tower looming way above:

And the marina of Marina Towers directly across.

And, best of all, the happy faces of my friends.


All in all, it's a lovely way to end one's work day.

So, if you're in Chicago, have a nice little meal at Diosa on the River. They've really worked hard and deserve a chance.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Steve and Jack say some to eat...you do it. They know all the great places..! So..when they call again to eat.....just go...end enjoy. Murphy's Dad

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I still think it's hilarious that after all your negative talk about that place, you ended up going there! *grin*

Oh, and by the "giant blowing-balloon thing," you must mean the "wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man"! (That's a Family Guy reference. *smiles*)

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice views of the water!

 
At 12:02 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Looked like good sushi. Who needs ambience if there is good food? Well...who needs A LOT of ambience if there is good food?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home