Monday, March 03, 2008

I'm Dangerous at Trader Joe's


I love shopping for groceries at Trader Joe’s, but it can get out of hand.

Like yesterday. The weather had finally warmed up enough to go grocery shopping (i.e. it was slightly above a grillion degrees below zero.)

For those of you who don’t know about Trader Joe’s, let me just tell you that TJ’s is wonderful. They feature lots of their own name-brand, ready-to-eat, high-quality food items.

I sorta went nuts. I’ll put whatever they have on display in my food cart.

OOooo! Flax seed penne pasta for only $1.99! Yay!

I don’t like the shape of penne pasta and what Italian grandma ever made anything from flax seeds, for crying out loud!

OOOooo! Sixteen ounces of chicken piccata sauce for $2.49! Yay!

I don’t like garlicky, lemony sauces. I’m not a fan of capers. Yet, the piccata sauce got plopped into my cart.

OOOooo! 32 oz. bottles of tomato-vegetable juice for $3.99! Yay!

I love tomato juice. Love. It. But the key word is ‘tomato’ juice. I’m not wild about all the other flavors that sometimes adulterate it.

I bought two of them.

Last night, I made chicken piccata with flax-seed penne pasta for dinner.

The pasta had the texture of wet cardboard. I think wet cardboard would have tasted better.

The piccata sauce, . . . well, . . . it stunk!
Really, it just smelled like weird body odor on the subway. (You know that smell I’m talking about).

The tomato-vegetable juice, I swear, tasted like it had aquarium water in it.

I had a Chicago deep dish pizza delivered.

End of story.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:59 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

You should have picked up 2 bags of orange chicken and some fat-free caramel corn. The flaxseed tortilla chips rock. For future reference.

 
At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Trader Joe's....and a great friend works there also. There food is great! VERY GOOD. EXCELLENT. Go Back...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home