Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Meal

I’m back at work and it’s time for lunch. Normally, I look forward to lunch because we have a fantastic food court here where I can get all sorts of tasty things to eat.

However, I don’t think I can ever eat again.

When with Lorraine, we eat and eat and eat. Not just for the sake of eating, but because we enjoy good food. Really good food. And believe me, she and The Spouse can turn out some incredible meals.

I just have to tell you all about the meal that Lorraine and The Spouse treated me to. It was a traditional Pacific Northwest meal and I doubt any meal could have been more wonderfuller.

Here is a big salmon that a friend of theirs caught and gave to them. (The Spouse had already cut it's head off).

While the spouse was decapitating the salmon, Lorraine, The Child, and I were at the famous Pike Place Market which is, like, seafood nirvana.

Here is a display of fresh mussels, clams, and oysters in bins, cascading with sea water. I scored two dozen big, plump, juicy oysters for a ridiculously low price. And here is a very large, cute dog with a puppy that was outside the market. It has nothing to do with the meal. It was just a cute dog.
The Spouse and I shucked the oysters which we all enjoyed as an appetizer. Lorraine broke out a bottle of Prosecco to accompany them. The Spouse, The Neighbor and I polished off two dozen oysters. Sheer heaven.
Then, here’s The Meal:

The Neighbor made an incredible salad of mixed greens, roasted pears, pomegranates, bleu cheese, roasted hazelnuts with a pomegranate vinaigrette. Wow.

The Spouse baked the salmon in white wine and served it with a hollandaise sauce. Lorraine served tortellini in a cream sauce, topped with salmon roe (caviar). She also made roasted yellow beets in a balsamic reduction, broccolini, and chanterelles sautéed in butter and garlic.
Can you believe this meal?

Oh, and here is Lorraine at the table, looking coy and demure:

I want to get on a plane right now and head back.

Really.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Just looking at all that food again and I'm full.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

I am SO going to buy some salmon roe and do the tortellini thing at my next dinner party.

 
At 12:37 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

The food sounds amazing! (Though, I gotta pass on the oysters - I know, uncouth heathen that I am.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home