Monday, October 01, 2012

The Smart Phone



I think I’m one of the last persons on earth to still own a regular, no-frills cell phone. I got an iPhone two years ago, but since I had no reception on the 50th floor where I lived, using it was exceedingly frustrating. I took it back the next day and got my regular, “dumb phone” back. 

One month from now, I will have fulfilled the two-year enslavement contract and I’m ready for my smart phone now. During the past two years, I’ve encountered more and more situations when a smart phone would come in handy.  Ordering Thai food online to be delivered while riding home on the bus has a coolness factor that I can’t even begin to fathom. 

However, I truly hope I don’t turn into one of these people who leap onto their smart phones every chance they get. I’ve seen folks yank ‘em out while standing in line at the grocery store, while walking across the street, and during concerts.

Of course, everyone on the bus or train endlessly smart-phones away.

But at what cost? Have we lost the ability to daydream; to truly experience “down time” anymore? 

I have a sinking feeling that the human capacity to engage in profound, reflective thought will be a thing of the past. Had Descartes an iPhone, I doubt that his brilliant “I think, therefore, I am” would have ever been realized.  

Has the age of smart phones dumbed us down?

I know one thing. Whipping out a smart phone at church during the first scripture reading is surely a recipe for eternal damnation.

I’m almost sure of it.

4 Comments:

At 4:21 PM , Blogger Harpers Keeper said...

Good luck with your new phone. You will come to love it and depend on it; I'm sure. Add to bad smart phone habits list, people who pull them out at the table in restaurants with other people. Not much sends the "you are boring" message faster than that.

Don't just the grocery store people too harshly though. There are great apps for both shopping lists and recipes. They could be making sure they got everything. I usually am!

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Angel The Alien said...

I think in public people sometimes sort of hide behind their phones. If you don't want to be standing there or sitting there looking awkward and just basically inviting someone to start a conversation with you, you have to try to look busy! So yank out the phone. You don't have to even be doing anything on it. I have, a few times, sent fake texts to my own self just to look busy in a situation where I was anxious!

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I'm sure the folks in church are just using their scripture app to follow along with the reading and then taking notes on the sermon. that's the line my grandkids give me anyway.

 
At 3:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello!

Interesting blog! Welcome to http://filmandotherstories.blogspot.se/.

:) Take care!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home